I’ve started getting more and more into the concept of “side hustles” lately. Basically, these are ways to make money outside of your normal duties (whether you work a “normal” job or are a stay-at-home parent, which is of course a full time job in and of itself).
One thing I’ve actually done before and fits perfectly with the goal of making some extra money on the side is this idea of how to make money losing weight.
Although not necessarily intended for this, it’s perfect for moms who are looking to lose the pregnancy weight after they’ve had a child. Or, maybe you already had a great plan to lose the weight, so why not make some money doing it?
I’ve got a plan to lose some weight over the next several months (looking to lose around 20 lbs), so I’m definitely going to be doing this to make some extra money.
Let’s get into all the details…
Note: This post contains affiliate links.
Make Money Losing Weight: How it Works
There are a couple different sites out there that allow you to do something like this, but I’m going to be using HealthyWage.
It’s pretty easy to do.
Well, using the site and setting everything up is easy. Losing the weight is another story… 🙂
Basically, you input how much weight you want to lose, over what time period you want to lose the weight, and how much money you want to bet on yourself per month.
HealthyWage crunches the numbers and tells you what prize you’ll win if you lose the weight during the period of time you specified.
If you succeed, they give you the money. It’s that simple.
And I can personally vouch for the fact that, if you win, they are quick to pay you. There aren’t a lot of hoops to jump through, and the process of verifying your weight (more on this below) is quick and easy.
I did this a few years ago, and made some money losing weight. As time has gone by, I’ve put a lot of that back on, so it’s time to do it again. And hopefully this time, keep the weight off. 🙂
Important note: They specifically don’t allow pregnant women to participate (and I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t want to try losing weight while pregnant…probably not healthy).
However, HealthyWage is awesome for after you’ve had the baby and are looking to lose some of the weight you put on during pregnancy.
How to Get Started
Okay, now let’s go through exactly how you do this:
Step #1: Go to HealthyWage.com and input your goals.
The first thing you need to do is input:
- How much weight you want to lose
- Over what time period you want to lose that weight
- How much money you want to bet per month
From here, go to step #2.
Step #2: Create an account and give a little bit more information.
There isn’t too much additional information that they are looking for here:
- Put in your e-mail address and create a password
- Select whether you are male or female
- Input your height, weight, and waist size (and they say it’s okay to estimate this one if you can’t measure it)
Step #3: See what you can win, and make the bet
From here, they’ll tell you what you can win (based on all the things you input), and you can proceed with actually making the bet.
This involves putting in some payment information for however much you are looking to bet per month. Time to put your money where your mouth is.
The motivating factor is two fold:
1) You can actually win money – yes, this is one of the goals. You win money by meeting your weight loss goals.
2) You don’t want to lose the money you’ve already bet. Much like at a casino, once you bet the money, it’s no longer yours. So in addition to winning new money, you’re motivated to win back the money that was yours.
Step #4: Get your weight verified
You don’t think they’re just going to take your word for it, do you? Of course not. 🙂
You need to prove your current weight (and then prove it again once the whole challenge is over). They make it really simple to do this and you have a few options:
1) Download the app and follow the instructions using your own scale at home – I recommend doing this because it’s super easy to do and takes about a minute of your time.
2) Make a short weigh-in video and upload it to them – If for some reason you can’t get the app, you can still participate but you need to verify your weight another way. Basically, you need someone to record you stepping on the scale while also showing what the scale says. It’s another easy option, but not as quick as doing it with their app.
3) Weigh-in in front of a qualified witness (including your doctor or health club trainer). If you decide to do this, the “qualified witness” simply signs a form that they provide or logs into the verifier part of HealthyWage’s website.
Does this really work?
In short, yes, this works pretty much exactly as I’ve described it.
I’ve done HealthyWage in the past and won $50 (in addition to the amount I bet) when I didn’t have a lot of weight to lose, but there have been stories of people winning a lot more.
Here’s a sample of success stories from HealthyWage:
These are all pretty incredible and, as you can see, these people won some pretty substantial money. I’m sure it wasn’t easy though when you consider the amount of weight they lost.
Give it a try, or at least see how much you could make by playing around with their calculators.
What are you waiting for?
Honestly, as I look for ways to make extra money, this one is a no-brainer. If you’re going on a diet anyway, might as well make money losing weight.
I’m the kind of person who needs a little bit extra motivation to make that happen, and making money (or not losing money) is a good little kick in the right direction.
Try out HealthyWage and let us know what you think. And if you’ve done something like this before, please leave a comment below and let us know how it went!
As I said before, we’re about to kick off another HealthyWage challenge, so I’ll provide an update later on. 🙂