There’s a period of time after your baby is born where you feel like your hands are always tied (unless the baby is napping).
I know we felt that way while our daughter was only a few months old.
It’s hard to move around the house (or out of the house) when you’re either holding a baby in your arms or pushing a stroller. The funny thing was, we got a baby carrier at our baby shower and it took us a few months before we realized that this thing was the answer to most of our problems.
As soon as we started using it, it was huge weight off our shoulders (figuratively, that is; literally, it added weight to our shoulders).
It was great during the cooler months, but now that the weather’s heating up, we’re trying to figure out if this is really the best baby carrier for summer.
The one we have (I’ll explain more below) is amazing quality, but it’s heavy and you heat up quickly when wearing it.
Anyway, let’s take a look at what’s out there and decide on which is the best baby career for summer.
(Note: This post contains affiliate links. See affiliate disclaimer at the bottom of the page.)
The Baby Carrier We Currently Have
Before we had our daughter and we were preparing our baby registry, we found the best baby carrier to be…
It was definitely one of the more expensive options, but it felt like reviewers unanimously agreed that this one was the best.
I have to say, it’s pretty amazing. It’s easy to use, it feels comfortable and secure, and you can wear it four different ways: front-inward, front-outward, hip, and back.
However, the material is a bit heavy and it’s not super breathable. I think it’s probably the best option for 75% of the year (depending on where you live), but for the hottest part of summer, it’s not ideal.
So, in the interest of finding something that is better suited for hot weather, we examined a few different categories to determine the best baby carrier for summer in 2018.
The Best Baby Carrier for Summer 2018
Before we get into the various options, let me preface all of this by saying, you are probably going to be warm no matter which option you choose. When another human being is pressed up against you, there’s going to be heat.
There’s no way around that.
But…we can at least try to minimize that temperature by choosing a carrier that doesn’t add to the heat.
In looking at the best baby carriers for summer, we examined 3 different categories:
- On a budget – the best carrier for summer that won’t break the bank
- Buckle carriers – carriers that are similar to the Ergo Baby, where you have defined straps and buckles that all click nicely into place
- Wraps/slings – A lighter weight, more free-form carrier (but less secure, more difficult to put on in my opinion)
Here’s what we found:
Best Baby Carrier for Summer – Buckle Carriers
The best carrier in this category is the Gemini Performance Baby Carrier By Beco – Cool Mesh.
Although it’s a bit more costly, this is widely recognized as an amazing carrier for warmer weather.
It’s made entirely of performance fabrics, including a cool “3D” mesh back panel that keeps your baby from getting too warm.
Here are some other great features of the Beco Gemini baby carrier:
- Fits a wide range of ages – This carrier is great for newborns (7 lb.+) and doesn’t require a separate newborn insert (unlike the Ergo Baby). It fits toddlers up to 35 lbs., so this really can be the one and only carrier you ever need.
- 4-in-1 carry options – front-inward, front-outward, hip, and back
- Comfortable – Widely recognized as one of the most comfortable buckle carriers for parents
- Stylish – Comes in different stylish designs
- Good size-adjustment range – In addition to fitting infants and toddlers well, the straps have a good adjustable range for the person carrying the child. Whether you’re a petite mother or a broad-shouldered father, the straps can be adjusted appropriately.
Overall, this is an excellent choice for a buckle carrier that’s not only great for summer, but also year round.
Best Baby Carrier for Summer – Wraps/Slings
While I’m not a fan of using wraps or slings to carry a baby, I know there are plenty of parents who like them.
And when it comes to wearing your baby in warm weather, wraps and slings can often be the best option due to the lightweight, breathable material they tend to use.
In this category, we recommend the Beachfront Baby Wrap.
As with most wraps, it’s significantly less expensive than most buckle carriers and is great for summer.
In addition to the breathable mesh fabric, it’s perfect for water (thus the name “beachfront”).
Here are some other great features of the Beachfront Baby Wrap:
- Super lightweight but still durable – Most wraps are lightweight, but that often comes at the expense of durability. This material is great because it only stretches width-wise (i.e. to conform to the size of your baby), not lengthwise. In other words, it doesn’t sag like some wraps do.
- Holds babies 8-30 lbs – You don’t get quite as much range as a buckle carrier, and it may not be suitable for small newborns, but it’s still a lot of range that will cover babies of most sizes.
- Two-shoulder weight distribution – While some wraps only cover one shoulder, this one covers both. That allows the weight of your baby to be distributed more evenly across your body and put less stress on your shoulders and back.
If you prefer the wrap-style carrier and are going to be spending a lot of time outdoors during the summer, this is a great option.
Best Baby Carrier for Summer – if you’re on a budget
Let me preface this by saying, if you’re really on a budget and don’t mind wraps, most wraps are going to be priced significantly less than buckle carriers.
You can get a decent wrap for as little as $15-20, so if you have tight budget constraints, I would just find a wrap that you like. One good option if you’re looking for a recommendation is the All-in-1 Baby Wrap Carrier by KeaBabies.
It’s breathable, highly reviewed, and costs a fraction of a buckle carrier.
If you’re looking for a budget buckle carrier that works well in summer weather, I’d recommend the Infantino Breathe Vented Carrier.
This one can be had for about 1/5 the cost of an Ergobaby and hits all the main requirements for a good summer baby carrier:
- Breathable mesh fabric
- Super lightweight (for a buckle carrier)
- Comfortable to wear
As with anything else, you get what you pay for. So while I can say that this is amazing for the price, it’s obviously not going to look and feel as high quality as the baby carriers that cost upwards of $150.
Which one should you choose?
It depends on your situation, your budget, and your preference for buckle carriers vs. wraps. Personally, I’m a big fan of the Beco Gemini Performance Baby Carrier.
It’s stylish, comfortable, and breathes easy in warm weather. As I mentioned above, I don’t really like wraps, so this was an easy choice in the buckle carrier category.
What’s your favorite baby carrier to use in warm weather? Leave a comment below!